Annie Falconer, Ontario
Dive site characteristics
The Annie Falconer was built at Kingston, Ontario in 1867. The owner named the ship to his spoose name deceased 7 years earlier.
The schooner sank after a violent storm in November 1904. The 7 crew members were held during 5-6 hours before the ship sank. One man died of hypothermia.
Localized by 3 divers in 1975, lots of pieces have been taken out legally for donation to maritime museums.
The Annie Falconer is an impressive wreck. It sits on a silt and muddy bottom. The wood hull is still in good condition. There is a lot of pieces to see on and around the shipwreck, like the rudder. On the stern, there are two large steel anchors, quite exceptional at the time. Due to the weight of the anchors, the bow is under stress and can break at any moment. One of them has fallen during the last years.
Two plates have been installed on the wreck. One of them is white and warns the divers that bow is harzardeous. The second one is made of black granite is on the port side. Though difficult to read, it provides some history about the ship. It is possible for divers well equipped and trained with experience to do a penetration dive in the bow in the section away from the anchor above.
Due to the depth, the dive bottom time, the cold below the thermocline are factors to take into account while planning the dive. A dive lamp is highly recommended to see the fine details of the shipwreck.
It is highly recommended not to dive near the reamining anchor on the bow which is unstable. Like all the shipwrecks in Ontario, the shipwreck is property of the Government of Ontario and therefore it is stricly forbidden to take any objects.
Note: directions are accurate as possible. It is recommended to go with someone who knows the site.
To display on Google map, click on the link
|1||30′||Cabine & habitat||You make the entry from behind the dive shop. You make a surface swim and descend along the buoy line.|
|2||22′||Echo||The wreck is located at about half a mile of Gull bar near False Duck Island.|
|3||18′||Banshee||The wreck lies between Timber Island and Duck Island not very far from the Echo.|
|4||40-50′||Florence||A about 300′ off Timber Island.|
|5||67-78′||Annie Falconer||The wreck lies at 1.5 mile norht of False Duck Island.|
|6||102′||Kattie Eccle||The wreck lies to the northeast of False Duck Island.|
|7||104′||China||The wreck lies to the northeast of False Duck Island.|
|8||106′||Alberta||The wreck lies opposite Prinyer’s Cove, East of Picton.|
|9||55′||Fabiola||The wreck lies to the Southeast corner of False Duck Island.|
|10||45-82′||Manola||The wreck lies to the southeast of False Duck Island.|
|11||90-101′||Olive Branch||The wreck lies to the southeast of False Duck Island.|
|12||105′||Oliver Mowat||The wreck lies to the southeast of False Duck Island.|
|13||20′||John Randall||The wreck lies in the School House Bay of Main Duck Island.|
|14||43′||Atlasco||The wreck lies South Ostrander Point, near Point Traverse.|
|15||105′||R.H. Rae||The wreck lies South of Point Traverse.|
From hightway 401, take one of the exits from 522 up to 566 and take a South direction toward Picton, follow the road signs.
To get to the Ducks Dive shop
From Picton, heading South take road 8, then take road 17. At the end, turn left on road 16. At the end, turn right on road 13. Follow up to the dive shop which will be on the left side (a dive flag can be seen).
|Ducks Dive||Point Traverse RR#3
|613 476-3764||boat charter, air, rentals (call before), cottage rentals|
|Archives and Collections Society||2, Gladstone Ave,
|613 476-1177||maritime history and conservation|
|Mariners Park Museum||Road 10 & 13 junction,